ACTION United’s primary aim is to empower the community to take ACTION and change their neighborhoods. One way to rise above is through education. Our Leadership Academy gives community members the tools and education to build a movement and improve the condition of where they live.
WHERE: ACTION United Offices, 846 N. Broad Street Second Floor
WHEN: Every Wednesday, starting August 12th and ending September 30th from 6-8pm
WHO: Community members.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED. TO PARTICIPATE IN FUTURE CLASSES PLEASE CONTACT JFORD@ACTIONUNITED.ORG
Community members who attend the Leadership Academy can expect to learn:
- What organizing is and how organizing can transform our communities.
- What it means to be a member of an organization and why building a movement is critical to creating change.
- How the political system is structured in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania overall. Specifically, who runs what, who controls what, who they serve, and how to put pressure on them to win victories for our communities.
- Why petition drives are helpful and how to utilize them to build a base in a community to strengthen a campaign and continue to grow our movement.
- Why talking to our neighbors and members of the community is important and how to communicate with community members to build a group vision.
- Why direct action is important and how it can be used as a tool to put pressure on powers-that-be to effect change.
- How to launch an issue or neighborhood based campaign to build power in a community, create a vision, win on a specific issue, and set up a sustainable, local chapter with leadership in place.
The Leadership Academy Classes will be held Wednesday, starting August 12th and ending September 30th from 6-8pm.